WALRUS DONORS FUND ESSENTIAL CANADIAN CONVERSATION
Financial support from thoughtful donors allows the Walrus Foundation to produce journalism of the highest calibre in The Walrus and at thewalrus.ca. Because of our donors, we are able to commission stories from Canada’s best writers and art from the country’s top photographers and illustrators. Donors allow us to fulfill our educational mandate by supporting ideas and conversations on matters vital to Canadians.
The Canadian Media Crisis: Why Now is the Time to Donate to the Walrus Foundation
2016 was no ordinary year. Even in Canada, it will be known as the Year of Trump—in which all the norms of political civility that we once took for granted were destroyed. It also became the year of fake news: for the first time in modern history, our largest trade partner will be led by a president who proudly embraces widely debunked conspiracy theories. Never in the history of The Walrus has the need for well-researched, independent, fact-based, long-form journalism been more acutely felt.
At the same time, providing this kind of high-quality journalism has become more challenging for media outlets, thanks to the meltdown in the traditional ad-driven revenue model that long supported both print- and web-based publications. This year, numerous Canadian newspapers either ceased operation or radically diminished their offerings. The same is true of magazines such as Maclean’s and Canadian Business. It’s hard not to be alarmed by the state of Canada’s journalism industry.
The Walrus editors are determined to take up the slack—which means redoubling our efforts to produce journalism of the highest calibre in such fields as health, culture, technology, business, criminal justice, the environment, and politics. We are especially focused on investigative reports, which shine light on important areas connected to policy and public life. Thanks to an innovative funding model that mixes traditional commercial revenue streams with events, business partnerships, and philanthropy—especially if our donors continue to treat us generously—we are able to commission stories from Canada’s best writers and art from the country’s top photographers and illustrators.
As the rest of Canadian journalism contracts, we are expanding to fill the void—always ensuring that what we offer will hit the same high standard that readers have come to expect from The Walrus.
If all this sounds like a project you want to support, I hope you will consider making a donation. These are difficult times in the marketplace of ideas. But I hope you will agree that they are exciting times at The Walrus.
—Jonathan Kay, editor-in-chief
Donor Impact in 2016
The Walrus Foundation spurs conversations across Canada, from kitchen tables to the House of Commons. Donor support enables us to continue providing the provocative long-form journalism, smart essays, and fresh ideas that are essential to understanding our country and ourselves.
- 2,750,000 people across the planet read uniquely Canadian perspectives in The Walrus or at thewalrus.ca.
- 121 writers, from clear across Canada, shared ideas and started conversations.
- 136 articles were published in The Walrus.
- 633 articles, poems, stories, and illustrations appeared at thewalrus.ca.
- 91 artists, illustrators, and photographers saw their work in The Walrus.
- 30 poems from established and emerging Canadian poets appeared in The Walrus.
- 21 Walrus Talks events happened across Canada.
- 157 Walrus Talks speakers addressed Canadians.
- 42,000 Walrus Talks audience members (online and in person) were moved, agitated, and delighted on topics ranging from art to water.
Other Ways To Give
- Phone: Call Aimee at (416) 971-5004 ext. 237
- Email: Aimee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Click here to download a donation form
- Securities: click here to download a printable transfer-of-shares form
View Our Donor Reports
Donors receive a charitable tax receipt and recognition in our annual donor listings (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015). For more information on how your donation will strengthen the distinctive, essential Canadian voice of The Walrus, view our annual donor reports (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015).